Welcome to our comprehensive white electric fireplace review: Moda Flame Houston 50” Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace.
Spoiler Alert: This fireplace also comes in a black finish. Everything is the same except the color. We really like this big, decorative fireplace for several reasons soon to be revealed. We love the realistic flame effects. If you like the fashionable, clean look, this may be the one for you.
NOTE: If you have arrived on our site and have already decided to buy the Moda Flame Houston 50 then we recommend clicking through to discover the lowest price and the daily discount. You will get very fast delivery and it’s often free .
In this review of the Moda Flame Houston 50 Inch Fireplace, we will examine the many features that this fireplace has to offer. This white electric fireplace is nice looking and will make your living room or office feel very cozy all the year round.
The Moda Houston has a distinct style that will blend in with most home and office decors, and will be a stand out feature in any room. In the warmer months you do not have to switch on the heat, and you can still benefit from the warm glow of the fireplace flame effects alone. The fireplace does not use real fire and there are never any fumes or smoke. Ideal if you do not have a chimney.
Moda Flame Effects
The Moda Houston 50 Inch Fireplace has realistic flame effects, and the intensity of the flames can be controlled with the remote control or via the control panel located on the fireplace. The flames are produced by LED’s and these cannot be changed. The flames are orange and yellow in color.
Inside the fireplace there are glowing embers and log inserts, and these produce a realistic fire effect. It is possible to change the logs if you want to, but there are fixing holes that will need to be covered up. The fireplace screen is made from heat resistant tempered glass.
Here are some actual customer comments:
- “The flames are very realistic and it provides a soothing glow that is relaxing”.
- “Cheaper fireplaces do not look real but the Moda Flame does”.
- “It sets the mood of the room”.
Moda Heater Functions
The heater in the fireplace is electric and uses forced air. There are vents in the top of the unit where the heat is forced out. It is almost silent in operation. There is no thermostat with this fireplace, but there are three heat control settinfs which are low heat, high heat and no heat.
The no heat option can be used in the summer months where the soothing effect of the flames can be enjoyed without any heat being produced by the fireplace. The heater is electric and on the hot air setting will produce 5200 BTU at 1500 Watts, and on the low heat setting 2650 BTU at 750 Watts.
The heater in the fireplace will comfortably heat a room up to 400 square feet.
Here is what some customers had to say about the heat output:
- “The heat output of the fireplace is good”.
- “The heater is very quiet”.
- “It produces heat, but even if it didn’t it would be still worth the purchase”.
The on/off switch for the fireplace is located on the right side of the unit and below this is the fireplace control panel. A black power cord is supplied with all Moda Flame Houston 50 Inch fireplace models. As the cord will contrast with the fireplace, you may want to consider printable cord covers. Some people hide it with a small piece of furniture underneath,The plug is designed for use with a standard outlet.
A hand held remote control and a control panel of buttons situated on the fireplace unit allow user control. Here is a gripe:batteries for the remote are not included. The remote control has an on/off function, heat control function for the three modes of “heat off”, “low heat” and “high heat”, a flame adjust facility that enables the intensity to be brightened or dimmed and a timer button.
The control panel on the fireplace has the same functions as the remote control. There are also LED indicators which show whether low or high heat has been selected and what duration the timer has been set for.
The timer can be set between half an hour and seven and a half hours. When the timer is set, the heat will operate for the time period chosen, and then it will automatically switch the heat off. This is an important safety feature as it ensures that the fireplace does not get too hot or overheat altogether.
This fireplace does come with built in over heating protection and auto safety shut off.
- Do not operate any unit with a damaged cord or plug
- Do not use outdoors.
- The electric heater is not intended for use in bathrooms, laundry areas and similar indoor locations. Never locate heater where it may fall into a bathtub or other water container.
- Do not run the cord under carpeting, furniture, or appliances. Do not cover cord with throw rugs, runners, or the like. Arrange cord away from high traffic areas, where it will not be tripped over.
- Always plug heaters directly into a wall outlet/ receptacle. Never use with an extension cord or re-locatable power tap (outlet/ power strip).
The firebox is UL approved, which means it meets industry standard safety regulations and guidelines. For more information see electric fireplace safety tips.
Cost Of Operation
The cost of operation is very comparable to other fireplaces in the same class. There is a big difference in cost between operating the fireplace with the flame and heat together and just the flame effect alone.
- Flame Effect = Less than 1¢ per hr
- 4400 BTU’s = 14.7¢ per hr
What does that mean? If you use your unit in high heat mode for 2 hours a day for a month it will bump up your electric bill by about $8.80 per month. In flame effect only mode, same conditions your bill would go up by $.60.
For a very detailed look at calculating the cost in your state and for more details on efficiency, Click this link: Electric Fireplace Cost of Operation and Efficiency
When the Moda Houston Fireplace is assembled it has a width of 50.4 inches, a height of 21.65 inches and a depth of 5.5 inches. The product weighs 39 pounds. There is a wall mounting kit supplied with the fireplace.
- Overall Height – Top to Bottom: 21.7 inches
- Overall Width – Side to Side: 50.4 inches
- Overall Depth – Front to Back: 5.5 inches
- Overall Product Weight: 39 lbs
- Shipping Weight: 59 lbs
- Volts: 120
- Amps: 12.5
- Watts: 750 – low | 1500 – high
- BTUs: 2560 – low | 5200 – high
We covered generic installation of wall mounted fireplace in this post: How To Install A Wall Mount Electric Fireplace. If you want specific instructions for this unit and the exact wall opening sizes click through to the Owners Manual and Product Drawings.
There are 2 accessories that will enhance your enjoyment of your fireplace; one will provide provide crackling fire sounds, another provides a low tech solution to hide the cord, and lastly and easy way to add program-ability to your fireplace.
1. Crackling fire sound machine. Take your enjoyment of your new electric fireplace up a notch and add the sounds of a crackling fire. For approximately $30 you can add this sound machine, The device is about 2 1/2 ” x 3″ and you can attach it out of site to the fireplace body. Click Here for: Fire Crackle Sound
2. Hide the cord with a paint-able wire channel. Paint to match the color of your walls. These are available at any hardware or big box store or just Click Here for: Wire Covers
Pros and Cons
The Moda Flame Houston 50 inch Electric Fireplace got some great comments from customers
- The flames are very realistic.
- The fireplace is easy to install.
- Great flexibility flame and ember effects.
- The heater is very quiet.
- Available in black or white.
- Black power cord does not blend with white fireplace
- No batteries for remote.
- Control panel for the fireplace was on the side
The Moda Flame Houston Electric Fireplace has a very realistic look and provides efficient heating. It is a cost efficient fireplace that will look good in any room. It has a very relaxing flame effect which is soothing and mesmerizing.
Four and five star ratings represented 93% of the total reviews from customers that had purchased the fireplace. Most of the cons mentioned are not a big problem in our opinion. If you are looking for a modern design fireplace and you don’t have a chimney, then the Moda Flame Houston is as realistic as it gets.
This is a high quality fireplace and it is strongly recommended.
NOTE: If you want to see even more proof of what a good deal the Moda white electric fireplace insert offers, then we recommend clicking through to Amazon.com and checking out the exact star ratings and reading more buyer reviews:
White 50" Moda Flame
Black 50" Moda Flame
- Flames are very realistic
- Flexible flame and ember effec
- Available in black or white
- Heater is very quiet
- Black power cord w/ white fireplace
- No batteries for remote
- Control panel on the side