Welcome to our comprehensive VonHaus Portable Electric Stove Fireplace review.
Spoiler Alert: This electric fireplace stove is definitely worth a look.We will be taking a close look at all of the features offered by this fireplace. It is well made, looks good with realistic flame effects and pretty good heating capability.
NOTE: If you have arrived on our site and have already decided to buy the VonHaus Portable Electric Stove Fireplace then we recommend clicking through to discover the lowest price and the daily discount. You will get very fast delivery and it’s often free .
The VonHaus portable electric fireplace is an attractive stove design that has a black finish and goes with almost any decor. As seen in the images, it is designed to have a ‘cast iron’ look though it is actually a tough durable plastic. From any distance it does look like cast iron, they did a nice job in the looks department.
The VonHaus 1500W Portable Stove Heater Fireplace has a classic retro look about it, and it will look the part in any room in your home, your garage or even in your office. Because of its compact size, and light weight it is very portable. Pick it up, move it and plug it in, easy peasey. It has good ambient lighting and will provide additional heat for your room. This fireplace will certainly make your room look and feel warm and cozy.
VonHaus Flame Effects
The fireplace has a vivid and realistic looking log flame effect. The brightness of the flames can be adjusted to suit your requirements. It is possible to use the fireplace only with the flame effect and without the heater being switched on. There are two incandescent light bulbs that provide the lighting.
The fireplace has a display window for viewing the flame effects. The door panel opens and can be left open or partially closed for different effects. The door and top do not get hot. The flame effect is pretty realistic and better than most other electric fireplaces. You cannot change the color of the flames with this fireplace. It is designed for realism rather than fancy special effects. The flame effects are silent on this unit, no crackling sounds.
VonHaus Heater Functions
The heater on this fireplace is located at the bottom of the unit, and hot air is forced out through a vent at the bottom. The heater has a maximum output of 1500 Watts. There are three heat positions which are high heat (1500 Watts), low heat (750 Watts) and no heat. The heater is quiet when it is in operation, which is a plus.
There is a thermostat dial control on the unit which can be used to control the temperature of the room. The heater will switch off when the desired temperature is reached, and switch back on again if the temperature drops below this point.
I believe it is very important that everyone purchasing an electric fireplace heater of any type be aware of the limitations of these units. With very rare exceptions and this electric fireplace heater is no exception, an electric fireplace heater is best thought of as a supplemental heat source. Quite simply they will not heat your whole house and will struggle in an open concept living area.
They can be part of a comprehensive zone heating plan. This compact electric stove works well in zone heating due to its portability. It does a nice job in an average bedroom or closed room
The limiting factor is the capability of a standard household plug and circuit, not the unit itself. Almost all are designed to heat up to 400 square feet. That is about the best that can be done without going to 220 volts, a dedicated circuit and custom installation.
There is no remote control with this fireplace, and all of the controls are at the front of the unit behind a drawer that folds down. There is an on / off switch which is located at the bottom right of the fireplace. This will either supply power to the unit or remove it. When the fireplace is turned on, the flame effects will start but the heater will not be turned on.
There is a switch for the heater which can be turned to high heat, low heat or no heat. There is also a thermostat control where the desired room temperature can be set. The last control is the adjuster for the flame brightness. There is no timer with this model. The power cord is around four feet in length.
Pros and Cons
The positive comments below about this fireplace were summarized from real customer reviews. I believe the pros far outweigh the cons. here is a bullet point presentation of the high and low notes:
- “A nice looking fireplace.”
- “Very reasonably priced.”
- ” Nice , natural fire look”.
- “It puts out a surprising amount of heat.”
- “It provides good ambience”
- “Easy and straight forward assembly.”
There were many customers who commented on the heat output of the fireplace. The manufacturer did not make any claims about the size of the room it could heat, but most people were satisfied overall. One customer said that it could heat 750 square feet easily.
There were a number of comments about the size and weight of the fireplace. Customers like the portability aspect, and that
it could be easily transported from room to room. It only weighs 18 lbs.
A lot of people remarked on the ambience that this fireplace provided. There were some positive comments about the realism of the flame effects.
There were a number of customers that liked the style of the fireplace and its classic lines. Some described it as “nice looking” while others said that it was “beautiful”.
The low price of this fireplace made it a favorite with a lot of customers. It is such a good value that some customers said that they would buy at least another one for their other rooms.
The negative comments about the fireplace below are summaries from real customer reviews:
- “The fireplace gets hot and is dangerous.”
- “The fireplace is not well made.” – it has a “plastic-y” appearance.
- “It does not provide much heat.”
There were a couple of comments about the fireplace getting very hot and being dangerous. These comments were in the minority and this should not happen. One or two people felt that the fireplace was cheaply made and not built to last. This was contrary to the majority view and is not considered to be a major problem. These customers felt that the heater unit should have been more powerful, and they were disappointed by the heating output. This is in total contrast to what the majority of customers thought.
Electric Fireplaces Stoves We Have Reviewed: Click on Links Below Images For Reviews Or Click On Images For Comparative Pricing:
- Regal Portable Electric Fireplace Stove Review
- Dimplex Electric Stove Fireplace Review | Compact CS-12056A
- Dimplex Compact Electric Fireplace Stove Review CS33116A
- Dimplex Celeste Electric Fireplace Stove Review – Model TDS8515TB
To see the a comparison of the 3 best Dimplex portable electric fireplaces compared side by side -rated Good, Better Best, Click on this Link: 3 Dimplex Electric Fireplace Stove Reviews And Comparison
The fireplace has a built in safety cut off should the unit become too warm, and this will stop the fireplace from overheating. It is CE approved (the European version of UL approved).
- Do not operate any unit with a damaged cord or plug
- Do not use outdoors.
- The electric heater is not intended for use in bathrooms, laundry areas and similar indoor locations. Never locate heater where it may fall into a bathtub or other water container.
- Do not run the cord under carpeting, furniture, or appliances. Do not cover cord with throw rugs, runners, or the like. Arrange cord away from high traffic areas, where it will not be tripped over.
- Always plug heaters directly into a wall outlet/ receptacle. Never use with an extension cord or re-locatable power tap (outlet/ power strip).
The firebox is UL approved, which means it meets industry standard safety regulations and guidelines. For more information see electric fireplace safety tips.
More Electric Fireplace Stove Options:
The good news is that there is only a 3 step set up process
- Take it out of the box, read the manual.
- Attach the 4 legs.
- Plug it in and enjoy.
Cost Of Operation
The cost of operation is very comparable to other fireplaces in the same class. There is a big difference in cost between operating the fireplace with the flame and heat together and just the flame effect alone.
- Flame Effect = Less than 3¢ per hr
- 5000 BTU’s = 10¢ per hr (estimate – based on the average state cost of electricity)
What does that mean? If you use your unit in high heat mode for 2 hours a day for a month it will bump up your electric bill by about $6 per month. In flame effect only mode, same conditions your bill would go up by $2.
For a very detailed look at calculating the cost in your state and for more details on efficiency, Click this link: Electric Fireplace Cost of Operation and Efficiency
This fireplace measures 21.3 inches in height by 16.4 inches in width and 11.1 inches in depth. It only weighs 18 pounds, and can be moved from room to room very easily. It uses a standard 120 volt electrical outlet. 2 prong plug.
- Overall Height – Top to Bottom: 21.3 inches
- Overall Width – Side to Side: 16.4 inches
- Overall Depth – Front to Back: 11.1 inches
- Overall Product Weight: 18 lbs
- Volts: 120
- Watts: 750/1500 Low/High
- BTUs: 5220
There are 3 accessories you may want to consider, the first for added functionality, the second for added aesthetics and pleasure.
1. Consider Electrical Socket Protection. Safer Socket has five tiny thermostats strategically placed inside the unit monitor the temperature of the plug to make sure it is operating at a safe temperature. Should there be a rise in plug temperature which could lead to an electrical fire, Safer Socket will automatically shut off the device. Click on Image below for Safer Socket.
2. Add fire crackle sound. The sound effect of fire crackling is only available on very high end fireplaces, but we have you covered. For about $30 you can add this sound machine, The box is about 2 1/2 ” x 3″ and can attach to the fireplace out of sight. Click on Image below for Fire Crackler Sound System.
3. Wire Covers. Wires and cables dangling from your electric fireplace can really detract from the effect? This Cord Cover Kit makes it a snap to hide wires. It’s very easy to install and can be painted to blend seamlessly into any wall.
There is nearly universal praise and accolades for this fireplace. Of the nearly 40 reviews we surveyed, only 4 were not the highest star rating . Three of those four people rated the fireplace only one notch below the highest rating possible, and only one person was dissatisfied because of a mechanical noise.
NOTE: If you want to see even more proof of what a good deal the VonHaus Portable Electric Stove Fireplace offers, then we recommend clicking through to Amazon.com and checking out the exact star ratings and reading more buyer reviews:
At well under $100 at the time of review, the combination of low price and good features make this a great choice. It is a great value. Although there are higher priced compact electric fireplace stoves you really don’t gain much in features and performance. Price plus good performance make the VonHaus electric stove fireplace heater a great value.
Of the entire customer reviews submitted for this fireplace, 65% of them awarded a 5 out of 5 star rating and a further 15% gave a 4 out of 5 star rating. This is a 75% overall very good to excellent rating which is great for an electric fireplace at thic price point.
This fireplace is good looking with a realistic flame effect. It has a classic design which will be appreciated by many people. The fireplace is small and light and this makes it easily portable. The heater will satisfy the heat requirements of most rooms. It is a good buy at a great price. We hope you enjoyed our VonHaus Portable Electric Stove Fireplace review.
- A nice looking fireplace.
- Nice natural fire look
- Light and portable
- Very reasonably priced
- It does not provide much heat.
- iI has a “plastic-y” appearance
- The fireplace gets hot underneath.